Friday, July 11, 2008

A lot of people tend to get really cynical towards the people that surround UofH's campus. A lot of people tell me to watch myself when I'm in that area. How can I be attentive to God's voice if I'm too busy paying too much attention to myself? I don't instigate people to beat me up, I don't carry around a lot of expensive stuff (but when I carry my camera, it's in a lunch box type of carrying bag so it's kind of like urban camouflage) so if one day people decide they want to jump me for whatever reason...I know there'll be a reason for it and I know there'll be an opportunity to share the Gospel.

Anyways, the neighborhood surrounding UofH isn't exactly Bel-aire status. I'd say it resembles a housing project in New Orleans. But today was the third time I rode the bus to downtown, and every time I get on it, I'm usually welcomed with a exceptionally polite bus driver and then unwelcomed with about 30 of the nastiest glares you could ever see. I usually sit in the front of the bus, one time I sat in the back, but when I sit in the front...I look back and see brokenness, despair, loneliness, defeat, rebellion. And almost every time, I get this feeling...I don't know if it's the Holy Spirit whispering in my ear or if it's just one of my ridiculous day dreams...I get the feeling I should start a worship service on the bus...like just sporadically burst into song and start praising God. Paul went around most of the Roman empire preaching the Good News, and through Paul, God affected millions of lives (and if you want to get technical, if it weren't for his faith, Christianity wouldn't be as big as it is now, so in essence, his faith affected trillions of lives). God gave me a voice to praise His name, but the only time I sing is when I'm walking alone and not one person is within 100 yards away from me or in the laundry room that is surrounded by 5 inch thick concrete...

"...Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. 10For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city."
Acts 18:9b, 10

And the part where God says "for I have many people in this city," I actually overheard this woman talking to an older lady how it was Jesus who gave her life and took her away from a horrible life of drugs. Now I just need to learn some heavy southern Gospel!

No comments: