Government was fun today. We were discussing basic principles of government...that's the part I like because it's highly up for debate. I could go a whole year debating the basic principles of government. We discussed why it is government is so crucial and came up with "humans are naturally self centered and we will do whatever it takes to satisfy our needs." When we're left without any sort of system that gives people a moral structure, we become barbaric, brutal, murderous, and excruciatingly selfish. The teacher gave an example of a stronger kid in class chasing after a buffalo for food, while she made it clear that she wasn't going to chase after one herself. In her example, the situation, the kid that caught the buffalo and left it home, and in the meantime she'd take the buffalo away from his possession because she wasn't strong enough to catch it. The basis of her argument was "I don't care if it's not the right thing to do, I need to eat." Which is probably something most of us would do, I mean, it's survival, being selfish is a natural human quality. I then interjected and said, "Well, it's not like that's the only option. Your left with a choice when it all comes down to it. You have a choice to steal this man's buffalo, or you have a choice to get food for yourself." She then quickly says, "Yes, but acting selflessly goes against our own human nature!!" WOW!! I haven't heard more truth from a classroom lecture out of my combined 12 years of public school than I have today. I actually wrote about it back on my old myspace, how acting selflessly goes against every natural law of a human. I actually hate using the word sin in my discussions, because it automatically creates a wall between the person I'm trying to minister to and, in essence, God. So I use the word selfishness...because the truth is, they are interchangeable words. Think of one sin that isn't self-centered. Anyways, after she said that, I nodded, and let her continue on with the lecture. There goes one opportunity passed up for sharing the Good News. I could have said, "Yes, you're absolutely right, but name me the one person who has defied natural human law...put your trust in Him and He'll give you the ability to undermine your natural law as well."
James Madison once said, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary." If more people put their trust in God's hands rather than their own, we would then start to get a glimpse of the Kingdom of God on Earth. Just some encouraging words I'll leave you (and for myself too) with before I go...next time you catch yourself about to act in a very selfish manner, don't do it. Go against what you're about to do and do the EXACT OPPOSITE!!!! You'll start seeing more of how God works rather than man.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment